How to Check Income Tax Refund Status Online
- Log in to the NSDL website https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/oltas/refundstatuslogin.html.
- Enter your Permanent Account Number (PAN) in the available box.
- Choose the assessment year for which you desire to know the status and then click on submit. The NSDL website is a secure website, so one need not worry while entering sensitive information.
- If your refund has already been sent to the refund banker i.e. to State Bank of India, the display would be something “Refund is already credited to your bank, please contact your bank”
- State Bank of India transfers refunds to tax payers either through ECS, or by way of a cheque.
- Remember: The status of the refund would be available for tax payers, only 10 days after the refund has been sent by the Assessing Officer to the refund banker.
Modes of Income Tax Refund Payment
Under the Refund Banker Scheme, there are two options to receive the income tax refund, either by way of ECS or through post.
For all ECS mode of payment, refund would be directly credited into the bank account. Thus, it is vital to provide accurate details of bank account number, bank name, branch, IFSC and MICR code, at the time of filing IT returns.
If such details are not provided with accurately, a cheque would be sent by State Bank of India.